COM 135 Spring 2019
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
demaioe2@southernct.edu
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 1817

Online Classes Empty Online Classes

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:26 pm
One good way to use online communications to educate and learn is by taking online classes. Some people prefer taking classes in a classroom because it is more social, interactive, and it can be a more effective way for them to learn. Other people however, really enjoy online classes because it can be more convenient, it is a different way to learn, and it doesn't require being as social. What is your opinion about taking online classes? Do you learn better by taking classes online or in the classroom? Overall, do you think that you do better in school learning online than you do traditionally in the classroom?
Sebastian Gonzalez
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention

Online Classes Empty Re: Online Classes

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:21 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Online classes are definitely a way to learn and be educated and it can be very convenient and efficient, especially in the summer when you'd probably rather be home or be able to do somethings on your own time. As far as this current course, I'd much rather do it from home than have to drive back and forth to a classroom every day because I'm more comfortable at home and save time and gas money. I feel that online classes are good, depending on the class and the person taking it. I think "Online Communication" is a good online class because the content can be learned online and doesn't necessarily need a classroom. If this class was taught in a classroom, most of us would probably be on our laptops anyway. We'd probably only go to the classroom for lectures, and that's it. Besides, "Online Communication" is ironically probably best learned "online." I feel that it's a very subjective experience. I feel some classes (like this one) are better to be taken online, but other classes I've taken require a classroom because the subject and content works for this medium. Some subjects needs to be taught in a classroom and students have to interact and be social about it. Some content does translate well online and doesn't necessarily require a classroom to be taught or students to be that social. I'd do better learning online with some classes, but would learn better in the classroom with other classes.
demaioe2@southernct.edu
Bronze
Bronze

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm
I totally agree with you! It definitely depends on the type of class.
Dr. Petroski
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 2257
https://com135.forumotion.com

Online Classes Empty Online Classes

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am
demaioe2@southernct.edu wrote:I totally agree with you! It definitely depends on the type of class.

Could you expand a bit more on that? What did you agree with specifically?
demaioe2@southernct.edu
Bronze
Bronze

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:51 pm
I agree that online classes can be very effective but it depends on the type of class you are taking. Some are very useful to take online at home, like this class because it is all about communicating online and it isn't really necessary to be in a classroom to take it. But, some classes should be taught in the classroom because they are more social like a science class where there are labs and you need to interact with others as well as do work that is more hands on.
townerw1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 1824

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 am
I think online classes can be beneficial to certain people and a pitfall to others. If a person is constantly on their game and can manage their time wisely, it can be an awesome resource available to them. And at the same time, the other could overestimate the work involved and become overwhelmed or just forget about the class in its entirely.

The convenience is something that can't be overlooked. Taking a college class from the comfort of your home sounds fantastic. I'm not really someone that can work from home so I go the library. But a downside, for me at least, is a lack of ability to be engaged in online lectures. I sometimes have to back up the video because I may have missed something and I'm certain I'm not alone.

These classes can't teach everything though. Some classes need more than blackboard or a laptop because I certainly don't want a doctor operating on me that only practiced on a PC simulator! Hands on experience can't be replaced.
demaioe2@southernct.edu
Bronze
Bronze

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:00 am
I completely agree with you. It really does depend on who is taking the class and what you are learning. I have to rewind the videos too which can be a little inconvenient because you have to constantly go back if you did miss something. Not everyone can learn from videos or reading the directions for assignments without having someone right in front of them to explain and answer questions. This is why I believe that online classes aren't for everyone. Taking classes in the classroom definitely gives you a more hands on approach and a chance to socialize which I think is an important part of learning. But, at the same time online classes can be very convenient, as you said. Overall, deciding on taking an online class would depend on who you are and what type of class or classes you need to take.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum