Go down
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 235
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act)

on Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 pm
Responding to entertainment industry complaints about what was seen as widespread copyright infringement by Internet users, Lamar Smith (R-TX) introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives a bill that threatened to shut down access to Web pages that contained any copyrighted information without the permission of the copyright holder. For example, if your private Web page was streaming the complete Iron Man 2 movie, access to your page would be blocked until you either removed the movie or got the permission of Marvel Entertainment (or the current copyright holder) to show the film for free.

Sounds fair, right?

What were the issues surrounding SOPA? What is the main concern? How did Wikipedia become involved?

petroskid1@southernct.edu
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 181

Sopa trying to Regulate the World Wide Web.

on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
SOPA Stop Online Piracy Act was a bill that would expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement to combat online copyright infringement and online trafficking in counterfeit goods. I understand would what the bill designed to do, but trying to regulate the world wide web is hard and none of those actions can stop overseas websites, like The Pirate Bay and MegaUpload from infringing copyrights, or prevent Internet users from accessing those sites.

Opponents claimed the proposed legislation threatened free speech and innovation, and enabled law enforcement to block access to entire internet domains due to infringing content posted on a single blog or webpage. Other opponents claimed that requiring search engines to delete domain names violated the First Amendment and could begin a worldwide arms race of unprecedented Internet censorship.

Wikipedia became involved on January 18, 2012, when the English Wikipedia, Google, and an estimated 7,000 other smaller websites coordinated a service blackout, in protest against the bill. Wikipedia said more than 162 million people viewed its banner.
Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia, written collaboratively by the people who use it. So if the bill had passed if a single post from a user was considered a copyright infringement the entire website would shut down and no more Wikipedia

Opponents have warned that SOPA could possibly have a negative impact on online communities. The law would make companies liable for users actions which could have a chilling effect on user-generated sites like YouTube. Websites could shut down if the bill becomes law, the legislation would enable law enforcement to take down an entire domain due to something posted on a single blog. The possible impact on common Internet functions like links from one site to another or accessing data from the cloud could shut down the site.
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 195

Re: SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act)

on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 pm
To simplify what SOPA was it was a bill to crack down on copyright infringement by restricting search websites to linking sites that had had access to pirated material. Big search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Wikipedia were not pleased with the bill because it was a very bold way of censoring the internet and also restricted many host or systems overseas to be censored in their service. The main issues surrounding SOPA was that many that argued against the bill said that the bill threatened free speech and that it was dramatic and unfair to block an entire website for infringed content on one or two webpages. Even though both sides did agree with trying to diminish the piracy problem, the bill was hurting companies more than they were helping.
I don’t really have a stance on this problem, on one side; these companies have put a lot of money in creating and editing and advertising their material and work should be paid for. On the other hand, these are multibillion companies whose only concern is money, and nothing else. Actors, artists, producers and advertising companies get paid a ridiculous amount of money, some say too much. Plus everything in our economy has gone up in price; including movies and music streaming apps, I won’t lie and say I’ve never pirated either one and it’s also safe to say that I’m not the only one.
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 187

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:13 am
SOPA was a bill that would crack down on copyrighting.. Any page that had copyrighted information would be shut down until they could remove the copyrighted information. The main concern was that this would be violating the 1st ammendment of freedom of speech. Wikipedia and other major search engines got involved because they could be shut down for having information that is technically copyrighted on their pages. This could be detrimental to a lot of sites because one post from a single person could cause an entire website to shut down.
halls19@southernct.edu
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 150

Stop SOPA

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:52 pm
This is a fair argument, because if I were the owner of a song or movie, I wouldn’t want anyone reaping the benefits from the work I’ve done. The SOPA is just what it stands for Stop Online Piracy Act. This bill was made to protect the copyright on the internet. The industry wants to start holding people accountable for sharing and/or stealing copyrighted material. Many companies such as Wikipedia protest this bill and think that it’s an overreaction. Wikipedia got involved in this protest by shutting down their site for 24 hours on January 18. They have every right to feel the way they do but when it comes down to copyright and freedom of choice and speech it takes it to another level of scrutiny. I remember I posted on Facebook a football clip of myself with music in the background and when I pressed the share button, immediately an error message reported that the content that I’m trying to share is not allowed or belongs to someone else. I think there should be a way people are able to share music, movies and videos with a disclaimer stating the material does not belong to them. That way you are acknowledging that it is not yours and you shouldn’t be held responsible for the duplication.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 193

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:29 pm
Responding to entertainment industry complaints about what was seen as widespread copyright infringement by Internet users, Lamar Smith (R-TX) introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives a bill that threatened to shut down access to Web pages that contained any copyrighted information without the permission of the copyright holder. For example, if your private Web page was streaming the complete Iron Man 2 movie, access to your page would be blocked until you either removed the movie or got the permission of Marvel Entertainment (or the current copyright holder) to show the film for free.

Sounds fair, right?

What were the issues surrounding SOPA? What is the main concern? How did Wikipedia become involved?

SOPA was a bill with its heart in the right place, sadly those who wrote it didn’t understand the intent well enough to see where this bill can ensnare so many innocent actors or major parts of the economy. SOPA aims was to shut down any site harboring copyrighted material. This was hoping to crack down on perceived problem that American movies, and music were being pirated all over the world, to congress mind that’s loss profits for us companies and in that respect workers as well.
The major problem is that web 2.0 so much content was posted on sites that big sites like YouTube or Facebook cant keep track of every piece of content posted on one of their pages. All it would take is one user to bring down huge internet resources. With Wikipedia seeing this as a threat to their collaborative model they firmly got behind stopping the bill. Other huge tech companies went dark for a day to get users aware of the threat this bill would pose. The bill dies and many lighter versions came up from time to time but free speech activists and tech companies alike see the danger in a powerful piece of legislation that can shut down speech.

The ability to bring down a page like that is a powerful tool for a government to have and it could lead to an infringement on the first amendment and begin a ripple effect of similar laws across the world resulting ion the death of the internet as we know today. In a similar case the FBI has shut down sites that contain postings of online prostitution and the argument is raised again where the service provider can be held liable for a crime committed by its user.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum