COM 135 Spring 2019
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dr. Petroski
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 2247
https://com135.forumotion.com

The Internet? Bah! Empty The Internet? Bah!

Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm
"DO OUR COMPUTER PUNDITS LACK ALL COMMON SENSE? THE TRUTH IS NO ONLINE DATABASE WILL REPLACE YOUR DAILY NEWSPAPER, NO CD-ROM CAN TAKE THE PLACE OF A COMPETENT TEACHER AND NO COMPUTER NETWORK WILL CHANGE THE WAY GOVERNMENT WORKS."

In February 1995, an article published in the popular news magazine Newsweek suggested that the emerging Internet technology was more of a faddish interest of computer technicians than an actual social force. The author of the article lamented that technology could never replace “human contact” and that networked information was too clunky and cumbersome for the average person to be able to use without frustration. What do you think?

Here's a link to the original article if you want to read it to help inform your response: http://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306
Jaedinfal
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 1804

The Internet? Bah! Empty Re: The Internet? Bah!

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:36 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Technology cannot replace human contact in anyway. Personally I cannot agree more with Clifford Still on this topic. Through my experiences and findings, I have not enjoyed the internet but instead find it as a way to keep me occupied, yet it is not productive in my opinion. Yes it is a great way to network and meet people, but the people who I am close with and have become close with were never met through a computer. I believe that a face to face interaction with another person is the strongest, most natural and best way to interact with people. While a machine can do what a person does or more, another person just cannot be replaced. I can't go out to lunch with a computer and really converse.. Also, he mentioned how the internet is full of unedited data, which leads me to believe it is biased all based upon opinions. That being said the internet is far from perfection.
Sebastian Gonzalez
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 1807

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:18 pm
I absolutely agree that technology can never replace human and/or face-to-face contact. While technology can be a convenience with some things, whether it be buying something online or being able to connect with people. But, those conveniences can never replace human contact. We're not hardwired to have that type of relationship with technology, we need human contact. Human contact is an essential part of human existence and survival. As great or convenient it may be for a guy to video chat his girlfriend because they're far apart, it can never compare to him being with her in-person and vice-versa. Anyone would choose to be with their significant other in person if they could over video chat. If we could choose human contact over internet contact, we'd most likely choose human contact. I agree that in the classroom you probably won't remember much of the multimedia you used in your classroom, but you'll probably remember a teacher or person that really helped and inspired you. Car manufacturers are currently trying to build self-driving cars. We can just sit back and relax and let our car do the work, but a computer can't replace a person behind the wheel and an algorithm can't replace human instinct. Technology and the internet will only go so far, but human contact can never be replaced.
townerw1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 1814

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:39 pm
I agree to a point. The internet is in no way shape or form a fad but I could never replace true human contact with a computer. One of my good friends did time and was forced to use a video camera to see his family instead of getting actual visitation. It wasn’t limited to him either. Literally every inmate had to have visitation this way and I think it’s just cruel. The thing he told me that hurt him most was getting asked by his daughter why he couldn’t “come out of the TV” and give her a hug. If I were stuck in that situation, I would be furious. However, the internet is a priceless commodity while servicemen and women are on deployment. Instead of being stuck writing letters and waiting weeks for a reply, e-mail has saved us from that. So, depending on which side of things you’re on so to speak, the internet can be a blessing or a curse. But it will never replace real human contact.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum