Go down
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 259
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

The Internet? Bah!

on Thu May 24, 2018 8:57 pm
"DO OUR COMPUTER PUNDITS LACK ALL COMMON SENSE? THE TRUTH IS NO ONLINE DATABASE WILL REPLACE YOUR DAILY NEWSPAPER, NO CD-ROM CAN TAKE THE PLACE OF A COMPETENT TEACHER AND NO COMPUTER NETWORK WILL CHANGE THE WAY GOVERNMENT WORKS."

In February 1995, an article published in the popular news magazine Newsweek suggested that the emerging Internet technology was more of a faddish interest of computer technicians than an actual social force. The author of the article lamented that technology could never replace “human contact” and that networked information was too clunky and cumbersome for the average person to be able to use without frustration. What do you think?

Here's a link to the original article if you want to read it to help inform your response: http://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306

petroskid1@southernct.edu
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 219

Re: The Internet? Bah!

on Fri May 25, 2018 9:31 pm
In the Beginning I don't think many realized just how dramatic things would change because of the invention of the internet, I don't think anyone really realized just how much into the future it would take us as a society. Many did believe that it couldn't ever replace the human contact or human connection. The internet wasn't what it is now, I remember doing homework when I was younger and at school they had to teach us how to properly use the internet and what was factual information and what wasn't. In the Article Clifford Stoll says "What the Internet hucksters won't tell you is tht the Internet is one big ocean of unedited data, without any pretense of completeness. Lacking editors, reviewers or critics, the Internet has become a wasteland of unfiltered data." The information wasn't always so clear and easy to read as well, it was a struggle back when the internet was just starting and that's exactly what those webpages were; unfiltered and unedited and fact checked pages with information. Nonetheless in the last couple of years the internet has become more user friendly and has been more accessible for people, which has been beneficial for a variety of people. I could see why the author believed that the internet would never be a hit back in the days, but now we see just how much as a society we depend on the internet; work, school, security, entertainment, that the thought of it not being a part of our daily lives is unfathomable.
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

The Internet is not Bah anymore

on Mon May 28, 2018 11:52 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
This article was written in 1995, when the internet was still young. Mr. Stoll has turned out to be so wrong. Electronic publishing has put Barnes and Noble out of business or close to it. “ And you can't tote that laptop to the beach”(Stoll). Little did he know we now have IPads, Kindles, Nooks, Kobo and even our cell phones to read books, articles, and magazines. The internet is not on some bulky desktop anymore, it's on our cell phones, on our wrist like a watch, and Google now has the internet in eyeglasses. Little did he know that the internet, would become faster and easier to access for everyone. He says “ None answers my question, and my search is periodically interrupted by messages like, "Too many connections, try again later”, that's when we had dial up, now the message would read No Wifi instead, just as disappointing. Like communication the internet is constant and evolving and helps us in profound ways.
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 211

on Thu May 31, 2018 12:51 pm
As everyone has stated above, the internet was vastly underestimated. Today the internet is apart of our everyday lives, it has become so intertwined in them that some people even form internet addictions. The internet is used for everything. Elementary schools have switched from paper tests, to computerized versions, even state test are going computerized. You can order groceries, shop, read books, watch movies and do virtually anything else you wanted to do simply through the internet. If someone really wanted to they would never have to leave their home,they could use the internet for everything. The internet is a force that is changing and growing in more ways then we ever thought it could.
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 204

on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 am
I think a good point was made that there would be less of an interaction with others. However, it is also more convenient to be able to work with the internet. It is beneficial for the government also, and I do not believe that it would be a hinderance to people as long as they do not have something to hide. Once people feel that they have something to hide on their personal sites, etc they get nervous about the government seeing what they are doing. There was another point made, which stated that reading a book on disk would be an unpleasant chore, as well. I do not agree though that the internet is a “wasteland of unfiltered data.” There is some that is unfiltered, but that goes back to knowing what to read and what not to read. Also, doing the CRAAP test on websites is helpful for this purpose. I think it is best for people to not mix up what can be done on the internet versus what is not supposed to be done. In the end, in person dates, activities, etc., should not be compromised by the internet.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum