Go down
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 210
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

Is communication easy?

on Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm
Many people might suggest that communication is easy, both as an area of study and as an everyday practice. However, think about it . . . if it is so easy, why are so many people seemingly so bad at it? And why do people who have known each other for a long time, such as married couples, often seem to have problems communicating?

Thinking this through...what do you see as the central obstacle(s) to good communincation?

petroskid1@southernct.edu
Nick Olivier

Is communication easy?

on Thu May 24, 2018 11:23 pm
Though many people suggest that communication is easy, I believe that communication consists of many factors for it to actually be good communication and in fact easy. It depends on how the individual carries themselves with others, personally taking the time to enhance their communicating skills so that they could express themselves, being comfortable with an individual, and the type of vibe and energy one brings on a everyday basis . Where some people are can be very introvert and keep to themselves others are extrovert and very expressive, and whether you are an shy person or not you still have to personally work communication in order to progress in life. being comfortable with the person is another factor that holds as an obstacle for good communication. A child that is risen in a strict household may not feel comfortable talking to their parents about sex and partying which can lead to bad communication between the parent and the child where as a parent that has a looser look on topics like that me be able to reach out to the child and give advise even though they may not know what the child is doing and if he/her is in fact comfortable with telling the parent, it opens a door for the child to be comfortable with talking to the parent about it. One last obstacle that is over looked is understanding the other individual and noticing how the other partner feels. All these factors contribute to good communication making it difficult in my eyes do any of you agree?
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 170

Re: Is communication easy?

on Fri May 25, 2018 12:47 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Professor,
This is the million dollar question; why are humans horrible at communicating? As families, couples, friends, or even co-workers it seems that none of us are great at telling one another what we feel or think. Communication is an art form, there are many factors that play into the relationship and situation to every group and those factors are both positive and negative. I don't think managers and CEO particularly enjoy laying someone off, and I also don't believe that any teacher enjoys telling their student they've failed their class. Every situation is different, and so is everyone different and when those two things work in harmony; then it is easier to get one's point across. Some people just struggle; whether their not very expressive or just like to keep things to themselves, or if one is too blunt and rude then it makes things a little harder as well. Even couples have problems expressing what they want to say, because we either care too much or not enough of the person and the situation.
The central obstacle to good communicating is feelings; to put it shortly. Feelings of remorse, anger, embarrassment, hatred, or even disappointment make talking about things ten times harder. It's always hard to keep feelings out of situtions, but that's just who we are as a species.
JasonHall80
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 137

Is Communication Easy?

on Sat May 26, 2018 3:07 pm
I think that communication is easy. The problem is that we are afraid of the other person's reactions. We are afraid of the outcome of what it is we are trying to communicate . For example , I was having problems in a relationship . I tried talking to my significant other about these problems and it was not working. So my friend suggested that I write her a letter. He said that sometimes people need to read things to understand them. I feel that if we let go of fear anxiety communication would be easier. If you are meeting someone for the first time and you are not sure either to shake their hand or give them a hug and you do nothing at all. It could give someone mixed signals. It may seem like to that person that you do not really want to meet them all. I have done this before by accident. Its all about identifying the given circumstances and knowing how to communicate the proper way . That means choosing the right words and gestures.
shannonehawkins1

Is Communication Easy?

on Mon May 28, 2018 11:26 pm
Nothing in this world is easy. In fact especially communication, yes we as humans communicate typically all the time but it is in fact difficult and not easier. It has gotten easier with the help of technology because you are not presently there to accept or deliver a message the way you may want to. When it comes to relationships and such like marriage or any relationship I feel like it is harder to communicate because we fear hurting the receivers feelings, so with that being said we kind of walk on egg shells are become very skeptical and careful of what is being said.  We tend to try to be sympathetic to others and their feelings we often take into consideration or at least try to consider the other persons feeling.  Also communication now certainly is not easy because we are conditioned to keep our feelings to ourselves, and not express them as we should. Communication also differs based on cultures and what not. For example, growing up in an inner city as a black female a lot of my friends were afraid of communicating with their parents, because they were often conditioned that they should be "seen and not heard" and/or because they were not raised in a house hold where expressing themselves were a thing. I personally think a obstacle of good communication is technology and definitely culture.
stefanatosn1
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 136

Communication

on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:35 pm
I believe communication is just like anything else. If you do not practice or let yourself get out of your comfort zone, then you will not have good communication. Over the last couple years of my college career I have noticed my that my communication has definitely gotten better, just by being more educated and talking to so many different people. I feel like you have to get out of your comfort zone and talk to new people because if you only talk to your friends, you will only know how to talk one way. everyone is different and has different ways of communicating.
Sponsored content

Re: Is communication easy?

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum