COM 135 Spring 2019
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dr. Petroski
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 2259
https://com135.forumotion.com

Google and Project Glass Empty Google and Project Glass

Thu May 24, 2018 8:39 pm
To label Mountain View, California-based Google Inc. as a technology innovator is a bit of an understatement. Currently one of the most profitable technology companies of the twenty-first century, Google (NYSE: GOOG), and in particular the company’s X Lab, has earned a reputation for launching Internet-based technologies that make use of their search algorithms for any number of applications. A recent invention that is turning heads (pun intended) is Project Glass—an initiative to develop and distribute a wearable Web browser and streaming camera platform in an average-looking pair of eyeglasses. These glasses are capable of displaying information directly on the inside of both lenses and are designed to be operated with voice commands, displaying the same information that one would normally access on a smartphone or laptop computer.

What do you think the biggest obstacles are to the widespread adoption of this technology? How does communication play a role in whether or not this becomes something that everyone has? From a different perspective, how does the use of this kind of device change the ways in which we communicate?
morriss7
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 1814

Google and Project Glass Empty Google Glass

Fri May 31, 2019 11:37 pm

One of the greatest obstacles, in my humble opinion, would be corporate greed. Often times, many of the technologies that would be extremely helpful to a population comes at a great cost. While the cost to create the product may be very low, the price to buy the same" product can be drastically higher, and often times place individuals who can not afford it into outer groups. While this is not the case with many technologies. The newest Iphone costs roughly around 300-400 Dollars to build. Yet, it costs, after retail and tax, anywhere from 1200-1400. This is a product that many individuals will not be able to obtain. Similarly, google glass will most likely be far to expensive for many individuals to buy. Most individuals do not begin to make $45,000-$50,000 in salary until past their 30's, reaching their 40's, and even then, many individuals still work for minimum wage, if not less. An additional difficulty that then becomes a factor is the danger this particular product may create. Already, individuals are distracted by their cell phones causing car accidents, slips and falls, as well as a large array of other accidents. How much more so will this increase as individuals place glasses, a direct eye impairment to their view.

Communication becomes a factor in the growth of technology, simply as the more individuals obtain the technology, the more popular it becomes, and the more it is shared among other individuals. My family did not obtain smart phones until my sister obtained one and forced us all to buy one. (This was many years ago, I feel old). However, had it not been for her repeated comments to upgrade and move into the new age of technology, we may not have changed phones when we did. Similarly, if a large portion of individuals begin to state that google glass is beneficial and worth its price point, it will only be a matter of time that we see the same boom as we did when smart phones came into place.

Communication would not change drastically through use of this device. Many hands free communication can now be used. Siri, has already become a common use in many individuals lives. Personally, I have heard my nephew now say the words "Siri, play paw patrol" while seeing my grandmother within the same room "Sarah! (Working on getting her to call her siri) Play bible verses"
townerw1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 1826

Google and Project Glass Empty Google Glasses

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:59 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
The first major issue that comes to mind with screened glasses is probably a little simple and could be overlooked. I think people running into each other because they aren’t paying attention while out in the world is a lawsuit in the making. What if someone gets knocked into the street and hit by a car? I also wonder if it might create a communication barrier between two people that are in the process of Face-to-Face communication. I don’t necessarily mean the wearer is ignoring others, but it might confuse people when the wearer is looking around (what seems like) off into space. The first Bluetooth headsets weren’t received well at first because it confused others for a split second. “Who are they talking to? Are they talking to me? Oh, he has one of those headsets.” I remember being in high school, hearing someone talk on a hands free device and getting confused.

I think communication over social media will determine whether or not the device is successful. A lot of Instagram influencers could push the device to fame like they did with Beats headphones. Or it could be a disaster and people could put negative reviews on Youtube and Amazon. The individual experience and the information put out can make or break something like this.

I still am thinking back to someone entranced in the device. I think it might make things a little harder for some people at first. Kind of like approaching someone with headphones on or someone that is actively engaged in something important on their smartphone, people might be intimidated on how to get someone’s attention. Maybe they would take the disruption wrong and become offended. We won’t know until the technology is dropped and people find a way to integrate it.
Sponsored content

Google and Project Glass Empty Re: Google and Project Glass

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum