Go down
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 288
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

The EPIC Googleplex

on Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 pm
~EPIC 2014 wrote:At its best, EPIC is a summary of the world—deeper, broader and more nuanced than anything ever available before . . . but at its worst, and for too many, EPIC is merely a collection of trivia, much of it untrue.

In 2004, new media commentators Robin Sloan and Matt Thompson presented a video presentation to the Poynter Institute (a U.S.-based nonprofit news education organization) on the future of news audiences. Inventing the hypothetical EPIC (Evolving Personalized Information Construct), they described a media system completely tailored for each individual Web user wherein the computer program EPIC searches and scans the entirety of online news in a given point in time, taking and rewriting existing news stories so that they can be tailored to meet the discrete personality, interests, and tastes of individual audience members. As the preceding quote demonstrates, such a news distribution system would likely be remarkably attractive for each user, but could have a devastating impact on society as a whole as we might lose collective sight on the important issues of the day.

Yet, as the book argues (and as Sloan and Thompson seem to suggest), media tools are not inherently “good” or “bad,” but rather the individuals who use them can do so in a “good” or “bad” manner. What do you think? As you use more tailored media sources to learn, relate, persuade, and entertain yourselves and your friends, do you feel more or less informed about the world? Why or why not?

The original EPIC videos are available for viewing at epic.makingithappen.co.uk

petroskid1@southernct.edu
stefanatosn1
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 214

Re: The EPIC Googleplex

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:14 pm
I do feel I like I am less informed about the world. I want to know about every countries news and I want to see every side of every story and I do not want to be tailored based on my like and beliefs. Just because I feel like just receiving information about what you like can make you blind to the rest of what is happening in the world. And in enough time I feel like you will only believe or know what you are interested in and if this happens to a lot of people it could drastically change countries and the world.
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 234

The Epic Googleplex

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 pm
For the computer program to scan the entirety of online news in a given point in time, taking and rewriting existing news stories so that they can be tailored to meet the discrete personality, interests, and tastes of individual audience members is dangerous. Suppose there’s a glitch or the programmer has a bias. I agree with Nikolas, I do feel I am not getting the full news about certain countries around the world. We are only being told one side and that’s not good, let me make up my own mind, by allowing both sides of the story to be heard. I don’t want the news to be tailor made for me. I just want the facts.
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 233

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 pm
Dr. Petroski,

I would feel more informed about the world if I could view all that multiple people have to offer on a topic. I say this because I am getting the viewpoints of many versus one source, even though it is the same information/ topic. Hearing others viewpoints opens the mind to think differently, and leaves room for more conversation about the topic to take place. If we relied on just the one story, without any tailoring to fit different audiences then, we would all possibly think like one party-- one mind. America is about its differences and different voices. Having one story tweaked for different view points is not a bad thing. I just hope people leave room to hear all the viewpoints before making drastic decisions. The problem we have today is we do not do this. We get comfortable in our viewpoints so much so until we block everyone else's out. It's good (because we're comfortable) and bad (because we tend to turn one-sided) in a way. We have to remember to be open-minded, which means sometimes we have to deliberately step outside our comfort zones (our specific tailored news) and view others' perspectives. If there were a way to view this tailored news compared to the raw information, I feel that would be better also.

Nasya Kampbell
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum