COM 135 Spring 2019
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dr. Petroski
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 2248
https://com135.forumotion.com

The EPIC Googleplex Empty The EPIC Googleplex

Thu May 24, 2018 9:06 pm
~EPIC 2014 wrote:At its best, EPIC is a summary of the world—deeper, broader and more nuanced than anything ever available before . . . but at its worst, and for too many, EPIC is merely a collection of trivia, much of it untrue.

In 2004, new media commentators Robin Sloan and Matt Thompson presented a video presentation to the Poynter Institute (a U.S.-based nonprofit news education organization) on the future of news audiences. Inventing the hypothetical EPIC (Evolving Personalized Information Construct), they described a media system completely tailored for each individual Web user wherein the computer program EPIC searches and scans the entirety of online news in a given point in time, taking and rewriting existing news stories so that they can be tailored to meet the discrete personality, interests, and tastes of individual audience members. As the preceding quote demonstrates, such a news distribution system would likely be remarkably attractive for each user, but could have a devastating impact on society as a whole as we might lose collective sight on the important issues of the day.

Yet, as the book argues (and as Sloan and Thompson seem to suggest), media tools are not inherently “good” or “bad,” but rather the individuals who use them can do so in a “good” or “bad” manner. What do you think? As you use more tailored media sources to learn, relate, persuade, and entertain yourselves and your friends, do you feel more or less informed about the world? Why or why not?

The original EPIC videos are available for viewing at epic.makingithappen.co.uk
Sebastian Gonzalez
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 1808

The EPIC Googleplex Empty Re: The EPIC Googleplex

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:06 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
The book is absolutely right about media tools not being inherently "good" or "bad." It all comes down to how we use them. These tools can be used to learn and gain knowledge and information which can help people and change the world for the better. The internet itself was created for people to connect and create and collaborate. It was something great, but unfortunately there a those who use it for harm, like cyberbullies and trolls. There are those who restrict the information to keep people down, uninformed, and uneducated. They force people to pay for information that should be free for profit. But, as far as tailored media sources, I feel they can potentially be dangerous because people get trapped in an "online filter bubble." If trapped inside this bubble, people may not be informed of or close off from other things, especially things that could be happening in the world they should probably be aware of. It's probably not a good idea for media to be tailored to individual people because it's important for people to be open to other things so they can learn and be informed so I don't really agree with EPIC. As much as media sources get tailored to me, I always try to stay informed about things happening in the world because I want to be as aware as I can. It's important to be aware of things around you because you never know if and when it might affect you. If people are unaware of things happening in the world, they essentially manufacture consent for some things to continue happening.
townerw1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 1815

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 pm
I don't think the internet on it's own is good or bad. It seems to mirror the gun control debate. If I work with a pistol at a range and I maintain proper control of my firearm, nothing bad will happen. Same thing with the internet: when used correctly, the internet is a fantastic tool, can be fun and entertaining, and is just all around awesome. But put into the hands of the poorly trained individual and the results can be awful.

There was an app a few years ago called YikYak and it allowed users to post short messages to people in the surrounding area anonymously. It was really popular in colleges. I thought it was great because it could be funny, it could help someone that maybe just needed to vent or help you connect with people in your area. But the downside was almost unstoppable cyber bullying, cyber racism and sometimes actual fighting. It came to the point where Yikyak could not be used if you were nearby a school because the bullying had to be controlled.

I don't think I like having a tailored internet. I think it creates a really uninformed society because people no longer are allowed to think for themselves and if they have unintentional blinders on, they can't make a well rounded decision on anything concerning current events. Let Fox and CNN fight, I'll stick to BBC.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum