Go down
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 240

Newsroom Manipulation

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:00 pm
In today's society, a lot of our news comes from online sources or television. These sources provide us with the good and the bad news about what is going on in our nation and world today. Considering how different each source is, is the information we get always accurate or are the news sources narrowcasting and only providing information they believe their audiences want to hear?
Do you think the news sources whether online or on tv have the capability to persuade us to think a certain way about a topic because of how they report a story, or do they not have that strong of a hold over their viewers?
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 248

Re: Newsroom Manipulation

on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 pm
I think what we've spoken before in class is a big problem, these 'filter bubbles' that news and websites have been doing to us as a society is harmful. I think as a country, we don't care enough about the outside world, unfortunately we have that mentality ' America first' and don't listen to causes unless they trend on twitter or facebook. Perfect example, this past week Guatemala suffered a horrible natural disaster where many people died and many were also missing ; I normally don't watch tv and stick to my phone for information and what I saw astounded me. Of course on major news stations there was coverage, however online I didn't hear a single things about, it wasn't trending on twitter, there was no breaking news story on snapchat and instagram wasn't filled with #prayforguatemala photos. It's disguisting what we've become as people, the left only watches liberal news and the right only watches Fox news; and they both share stories that are extremely biased and bash on the other side of the poltical spectrum.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 246

on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm
I don’t think the media is one thing but different types of outlets that have their own flaws and benefits.  Old established outlets line The New York times, Wall street journal, and The Washington Post have a history of being the crème da la crème and with that comes the pick of the best journalists from the top schools. With this comes the best journalists who take their role serious and break stories every day that reflect that due diligence. Are they narrowcasting though? Perhaps they are, I think it’s a fair accusation that such outlets appeal to a certain demographic that subscribes to them but I don’t think that’s bad thing. Just because something is directed a demographic that cares doesn’t make it any less groundbreaking or true.  

I think magazines are the most keen to narrowcasting. They exist to appeal a certain demographic. The weekly standards for conservatives, the new republic to liberals, the new Yorker to elite cosmopolitans, and the populist to labor activists. Theses things are not bad things where ideas gain traction. This can become a problem when people don’t leave these idea  bubbles and it instead becomes an echo chamber that anchors people into one mindset.  In that case it is quite possible for consumers to be able to only seen one narrative to a story and I  find that unhealthy for an open society .

I’m less kind to Tv news sources. I’m sure Jake tapper and Anderson Cooper are men on integrity the unfortunate side effect of tv news is their is a time limit to get the news out and with that you only get a snapshot or quick take of an issue and not the long pensive weedsy story you may get in a written source. I do think some tv news stations operate on a model to hold their viewers  as hostage of a single narrative. State run propaganda stations like RT and sputnik appeal to the far left and the far right of Americans and use their platform to sow a misleading narrative to those already skeptical of American institutions and news sources.
Brittania Reynolds
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 258

on Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:10 am
I feel that the information we always get is not always accurate, there's always some exaggeration or added in details to spice up the story. I definitely think that the news sources have the capability to persuade us to think a certain way about a topic. For example, when Trump was giving his speech about building the wall, his supporters were cheering him on, he has them wrapped around his finger and they will agree with pretty much anything he says. So, television isn't only the persuasion, people are pretty persuasive as well. I am also not saying this to offend anyway it is just an example I am using.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum