Go down
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 219

Text ya later...

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
With technology as popular and ever changing, it tends to change us as a society along with it. Texting has been one invention that has completely alternated the way we communicate with each other. Conversations range from daily reminders, to more serious and personal; which has allowed people to lack in the empathetic department and not be able to differentiate when it is appropriate or not to talk about a certain subject through text. Because of the fact that the personal situation is not face to face and you cannot see the other person’s reaction, it allows us to have a bit more confidence in being able to confront, apologize or disappoint someone. Breakups are never easy; it’s confrontational, emotions are running high and there is always the possibility of the whole situation taking a turn for the worse. So some people do turn to texting to do their own dirty work, texting has removed the personality behind each message; there is no tone, it’s very cold and a monotone way or conveying a message. We have lost the ability and the courage to be able to confront our worries and stand up for what we believe in.

What does this say about how our society has changed? How does our future look like as a society? What’s your opinion on relaying intimate messages via text?

connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 211

Re: Text ya later...

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 pm
Using a text message to relay important or intimate messages is not a good idea. I almost lost my best friend because of this. A conversation my friend and I were having took a turn for the worse when a text I sent got misinterpreted by her because she couldn't see my emotions. This text message had her not speaking to me for nearly a month before we were able to discuss it and fix the situation. I think as a society we have become scared of confrontations, and that text messaging is our way of dealing with them easily, but in reality these text confrontions end up a lot worse then they could have been.
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm
I feel as if we've all fallen into the trap, and then hurt someone close to us because of a the tone of the text. I've had it happen to me once or twice and its horrible, the situation never would have happened if we've talked face to face or even a phone call. We are very visual beings; we react to things we see or experience and when that is stripped away it makes it harder for us to be able to continue the conversation. I dont know why we've become so cowardly as a society, how we hide behind these screens and do things we normally wouldn't do to people or say things we shouldn't
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 217

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm
Like most technology we swing head first into something and it takes some calibration to find the right balance. I agree that texting can be cold and impersonal resulting in misinterpitation. I too have stories of uncertainty on how to understand a text that lacked any emotion behind it. But I am optimistic that people are starting to realize that and finding ways to address’s these issues. I’m from a time before emoji’s and gifs when texting was just as popular but was just the text. I see these inventions as ways to really add humor and life into the emotionless text message. I have a dear friend that I don’t see often enough and all day we may exchange memes as our way of connecting and staying in touch until our next meeting.
shannonehawkins
Quality Points : 175

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 pm
This is amazing, i love this topic.
Society has gotten so much easier with the access to technology life is just ten times easier. When it comes to relationships though, it makes it harder, easier, but harder. Easier in the sense that everything is attainable through the touch of screen but harder because we are not really i touch with our emotions anymore, sow hen we have to actually deal with them its like foreign to us. and thats why a lot of relationships and such fail so easy because no one knows how to be a real human anymore. I have so many experiences with technology and communicating in relationships and i am so old school i like to talk everything out face to face and have physical interactions because its much easier to read someone that way. Basically what i feel is that society is lazy, and will continue to get lazier because technology will keep evolving.
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 pm
Matism, I too come from a time when cell phones didn't even have internet, you had to pay extra for that. It's crazy to see how we've progressed as a society and how we echo our ancestors by using images to communicate, just like cavemen did before and the Egyptians did as well. I hope that you are right and that the more people experience the troubling effect that texting certain things bring then they will learn to think twice about it.
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm
Could not agree with you more Shannon! This subject has been one of my favorites so far in the class. It really hits home and is a big wake up call to others. We have become lazy, and lack feelings in certain situations. No one does know how to be human, it takes less time to talk to the person face to face; however everyone would rather text it all out. We will have to see what this future generation will be like, and how texting and social media shapes them .
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum