Go down
Brittania Reynolds
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 229

From Physical to Digital

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
The Internet has overtaken our dating life as the rise of dating websites become increasingly popular. Nowadays, many people meet for the first time through social media and dating sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Tinder, OkCupid, Match.com and many more. You do not see many people meet offline for the first time but rather most people meet online. Sure dating websites are convenient for a majority of people such as someone who is timid, someone with a very busy schedule, or someone just looking for a fling. However, there are always negatives when something is too good to be true. It's easy to deceive others online because you can be anyone you want due to the restriction of visual information that would tell a person who you are. On dating websites, many people lie about their physical appearance, what their profession is, or even their age, these lies are called impression management. What happened to Manti Te'o has happened to many others such as seen in a show called Catfish. Another downfall with online dating is the lack of nonverbal cues which leads to possibilities of deception that would be hard to pull off face-to-face.

How could you tell if you were being Catfished? How do you know or how can you tell if a person's profile is fake or not? What can some online dating websites do to prevent a person from being catfished? And lastly, do you prefer online dating or offline? Why?
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 211

Re: From Physical to Digital

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm
I think it would be very hard to tell if you were being catfished, but if they were not letting you skype or use some other form of video chat, then I would be extremely skeptical of them. I also think you can tell if a profile is fake if you google the pictures on the profile, then sometimes you can find them on the internet, and see who they belong to. I personally prefer dating in person, offline because you can genuinely meet the person, you may be able to meet their friends and learn more about their personality. It just is a way to know that the person you are talking to exists, and is not made up.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 217

on Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm
I think younger people find it easier to pick out fake profiles do the quality of images and content of profiles. The most vulnerable demographic to catfishing are usually older adults who are widows or divorced later in life. Caitfishers prey on their loneliness to create a bond with them and get them to surrender money a lot easier due to the emotional connection these victims crave. I think the best thing dating profiles can do invest more money ion screening top weed out such profiles but perhaps provide new users with some video lectures on what to look for and how to be safe online dating. Its quite a nanny approach but it could provide results.

KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

Online Media Connections

on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
I'm glad I watched the videos on online dating from Module Team 4. They were quite insightful, informative and enlightening. From the dangers, like never giving your address to total strangers no matter how long you have been texting or talking to never getting in a car by yourself especially on the first date. Amy’s Webb video “How I hacked online dating” This was the second time I have heard a horror story of going to a fancy restaurant on the first date where appetizers, double entrees, bottles of expensive wine and desserts are ordered then the date excuses themselves and goes to the restroom to never return. Amy kept the bill of 1,310.00, she said that was her rent. I would still be at that restaurant washing dishes. Amy ended up creating her own algorithm for online dating, I will not be able to go that far. Also, the profile picture should be exceptional as it is your first impression so dress up but, nothing too revealing and not a like a Sunday school teacher either.

I did like the tips about updating my profile so that I am revealing more about myself from “The Beautiful Truth About Online Dating” By Arum Kang & Dawoon Kang they compared one word, or one sentence answers on profiles to a short paragraphs. Their statistics showed the more I reveal about myself the more replies I will get back. These girls showed me anything I do now will be an improvement to my profile and maybe I will attract someone I can at least have a nice conversation without going to the fancy restaurant.
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 204

on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:54 pm
I feel as if it could be hard for someone to know if they were being Catfished, especially since s/he does not know this person and they are meeting for the first time (online). There is no real way to know that the other person is fibbing. If you were to find out, it could be from asking around. Maybe a person could track down someone this person knows somehow and find more out about him/her. Also, if people are going to date and it is starting to get serious, then s/he might want to pay for background checks, etc. before taking it to the next level and finally meeting in person. Sometimes one might be able to tell if a person’s profile is fake by grammatical errors, or s/he might run into a duplicate. Many times you can tell if a celebrity’s profile is real by “real” or “vemo” (for Youtube) being placed at the end of the name. Maybe if a person has an idea of who the person is (if s/he is lucky enough to talk to a celebrity of some sort) s/he can pick up on their language. I feel as if celebrities could be easier to pick up on whether they have fake profiles or not, thus, making it easier for dating. However, on the other hand, real people could easily get away with being fake because they do not have such a large audience always watching them. I feel that some online dating websites could monitor better any suspicious behavior. This would make it harder for people to lie. Also, it may be far-fetched, but they could put out that people may be subject to background checks when joining a specific site if s/he wants an account with them. Lastly, I would say that if I were looking to date, hypothetically, I would prefer to do a little of both. I would try online dating because I have not before (maybe for the experience of knowing what everyone is raving about). However, in person would make me feel a bit more at ease. Online dating seems good for the convenience, but it also seems like it could be dangerous. (Thankfully I am married and do not have to worry about such things.)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum