Go down
halls19

Online media connections

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:46 am
Social media has its’ ups and downs. It can either impact your life positively or negatively. Either way it impacts how people act and see one another. I just so happen to like social media because it allows you to stay connected to other people across the world. It has also allowed me to further my education while taking online classes and holding down a job. As a young man who is always on the go, I find it difficult to balance relationships with family and friends because there is not enough time in a day to stop and visit or call everyone like I would like to. However, through social media it allows me to communicate via email, snapchat, text messages and video call.
The lessons I remember about Sesame Street as a child was no matter what, it’s ok to love people of different colors, shapes and sizes. This still stands true to me today. I also remember different celebrities singing songs about determination. I can relate to this because just when I thought all hope was gone, I picked myself up and started all over again. There’s a parable that states it’s not “how you start but how you finish” and if I am able to attain my goal of my degree, I’d be proud of my accomplishments. In my youthful days my mother purchased me a Leap Frog that would help me to memorize the alphabets as well as my numbers. I rarely use social media for class because it can be a major distraction and I will begin to chat with friends or play games on the internet. When I do seek social media, I pose a question seeking different responses and then I draw my own conclusion. Overall, social media is what you make it as an individual.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 217

Re: Online media connections

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm
I used to see social media how you do as something thats what you make it. a tool that can be absed or used properly. im strarting to move away from that as I have gotten older. even with the most honest intentions in mind its quite esay to be sucked into a facebook arguemnt or waste an hour wathing videos on facebook that you could have gone through life not seeing. Now i see social media more as candy like skittles. Its bright and colerful but also super unhealty. it womt kill you if you are moderate but still not good for you and still very hard to resist.
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 219

on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:39 pm
Social Media has in fact helped the newer generation balance life out like you mentioned! Being able to reach family and friends whom I don't get to see enough of and catching up with them via messages is an amazing tool. It has definitely helped us students, because online classes is possibility, and for us who are always rushing from job to job and have no extra time to make a trip to campus, it has helped us be able to continue our education.
I feel that children's shows are great mass personal communication tools that are able to reach the corners of the world with their incredibly jolly and informative messages. Sesame Street was one of my favorite shows growing up, I learned a lot about sharing and how to be a better friend, and obviously how to count. Media in general can be tricky to navigate, but with good intentions and a passion for knowledge for all things good, there are wonders to be found.
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 211

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:59 am
I agree with everything everyone else has said. Social media certainly has its ups and downs. It allows us to stay connected in our busy lives with people we otherwise wouldn't be able to stay connected with, but it can also be negative and a distraction that becomes an addiction, difficult to tear yourself away from.
Children's shows are one of the positives that have come out of technology, shows like Mr. Roger's neighborhood helped teach me how to do little things like tie my shoes and be a kind person. These shows have the opportunity to spread their messages across the world allowing everyone the chance to learn something new.
shannonehawkins
Quality Points : 175

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:48 pm
I certainly agree with everything everyone has said, social media has made it extremely easy for us to communicate and still have active social lives as well as being busy like full time students and such. I also agree with the negatives of it, its not healthy at all. there is always some sort of con when it comes to interactions. It makes interactions so much easier but harder in the same sense because it is so hard to actually depict what someone is saying over text or dm or messaging as oppose to talking face to face. It also has made people lack actual social and human communication skills because they can interact through phones and avoid actual human confrontation. It makes it harder for when they have to actually be social like when networking and job interviews and such.  But then again with the evolution of technology and such, forms of communication will just rely on social media and technology aspects of things. so once again social media has its pros and cons just like everything, it has definitely made life both harder and easier for us.
Ryan Shalagan
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 188

Online Media Connections

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:01 pm
Growing up as a kid I always remember watching Thomas The Tank Engine. Thomas was this little train that never gave up despite his small size. He always had a positive out look and had a glass half full type of personality. Growing up I learned a lot from watching him. He taught me that anything you put your mind to you can accomplish and that hard work will payoff. As kids we never really see the lessons these shows are trying to convey, I suppose it happens more subconsciously because still to this day I follow the lessons that I learned from watching Thomas The Tank Engine as a little kid.

Back when I was a little kid if I wasn’t watching Thomas The Tank Engine I would be playing on my leapfrog. Leapfrog has different game you can switch in and out that vary from reading activities to math activities or just fun arcade games in general. I primarily used it to practice my reading and math skills when I got home from school. I felt that the Leapfrog was extremely effective in advancing my reading and math skills. The reason why it was so effective in teaching was because it was fun and excited. As a little kid I thought of it as a game rather than a reading or math assignment. The rewarding feeling of completing a new level on my leapfrog fueled my interest in the leapfrog. It’s important to note that the leapfrog was designed for kids to give them a fun environment in which they can learn through creative games and puzzles. With today’s new technology kids have similar things to the leapfrog such as the ipad where they can download reading, writing, or math games to help with their understand of each subject to build their framework.
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

Online Media Connections

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:13 pm
After reading all the comments I can agree with Jason that social media impacts how people see each other. On social media I might learn something about an individual that I didn’t know or maybe something I didn’t need to know. Andrea’s point about reaching family and friends is the best reason to use social media as, I have family members that travel and take photos from around the world. Mat’s point that social media needs to be done in moderation is important because it can become addictive quickly. Ryan watching Thomas the tank engine shows the little train had an impact on him when he was little that he still remembers. Shannone is right it is extremely easy to use, however some seniors still don’t get it, they would prefer FtF or a phone call. Finally Ashley’s comment that social media allows us to stay connected to those we choose to communicate with
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum