Go down
geismans1@southernct.edu
Quality Points : 199

The Illusion of Information

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:20 pm
This hypothetical idea of the “Evolving Personalized Information Construct” is no longer so hypothetical. Recently, David Letterman interviewed President Obama for his new Netflix show and this topic was covered. President Obama spoke on an experiment that was conducted towards the tail end of his presidency, where two separate internet servers were used to visit websites of the far left and far right. They made sure to leave the impression that the person doing the research had radical ideologies that leaned either left or right. Then they took a basic political issue and typed it into Google. The server that had researched ideologies that leaned right, came up with information that supported those idea. The other server did the opposite. What this does is put the public in bubbles. People are going online and being spoon fed “information” that is tailored to their beliefs. I believe this gathering of data and personalization of “news” is detrimental to society. For example, after the recent school shooting in Texas there was a picture that was floated out by a far-right website of the shooter in a Hillary Clinton campaign hat. It doesn’t matter that this information is false, the people that want it to be true will see it and believe it. They will tell other people about it, and before you know it this fake story becomes the reality for a portion of our country. There is no longer integrity behind the things media outlets put out into the atmosphere. Just illusions of information, tailor made for consumers.
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 248

Re: The Illusion of Information

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:58 am
I think that the "Evolving Personalized Information construct" is something that had created a lot of buzz and has been talked about a lot in todays news. The fact that we as consumers are being put into these 'filter bubbles' and put into categories of likes and dislikes is a startling revelation. We're being spoon fed secondary information, and in some cases completely incorrect news and we as a society either don't notice at all or don't care at all. " Fake news" has been a word that has been used from the higher ups to the average joe's throughout this year, and it seems to hold some truth to it because we are being shown two stark stories or stories that are not credible at all. The Obama interview you mention is a great example of this, they experimented and came up with the conclussion that not everyone is getting the same results or are being given their side of the story. We have witnessed first hand how dangerous it is when people have only read their 'filtered' out stories, there are clashes at protest and physical altercations and it just gets worse and worse. We've also witnessed how a big company like facebook was targeted and these fake profiles woul create pages that tailored news to either the left or right in the U.S, which then let out an array of wrong information and hyped up either side. This year we have seen how dangerous it is when the masses are given the wrong information, or only information that they want to hear, its dangerous as a society and as a country.
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 240

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:04 am
As stated above this is not a great idea. It can be dangerous when the wrong information is spread out in public. People begin taking the information to far and arguments begin, sometimes causing physical altercations. It is important to get the right, factual information, so that everyone is getting the exact same information. Then they can interpret that information their own way, rather then having a computer decide how they would want it to be interpreted. Our world needs to be based on reality, not illusions, a world made of illusions will quickly come crumbling down.
halls19

Epic Googleplex

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm
Many people have mixed feelings regarding the negative and positive impact social media has on today’s society. I believe the internet is a double edge sword depending on the way the internet is used. The internet is a great way to stay in touch with family members, friends as well as meet new and exciting people from across the world who may share the same interests as you. Contrary to that, the negative impact social media has on society is the fake news and all the filter bubbles as we have learned in this course. I gather the real difference between good and bad would be the people who has their hands tied into it. I will not say that the internet is either way but it all boils down to the individuals and what they choose to do with the social media whether it is to be positive and spread love or be negative and spread hate.
stefanatosn1
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 214

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 pm
My beliefs are the same as yours, I think that the "Evolving Personalized Information construct" has become reality. There is no question that everyone is receiving personalized information based on their likes and beliefs. I really enjoyed the part where they compared two people searching the same things on google and finding out that they have different search results. It is not just Google that does this: Facebook ads are more centered to you based on what you search on google and other websites. I am not okay with this, I believe with enough time of everyone getting information personalized for them; that eventually no one will receive news or information on other ideas that you don’t believe in. Fake news could take over.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum