Go down
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

Education and Technology

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:53 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
There is a belief among teachers that students constant use of digital technology is diminishing their attention spans. The researchers found the subjective views of teachers and should not be seen as definitive proof that widespread use of computers, phones and video games affects students ability to focus. “Scholars who study the role of media in society say no long-term studies have been done that adequately show how and if student attention span has changed because of the use of digital technology. But there is mounting indirect evidence that constant use of technology can affect behavior, particularly in developing brains, because of heavy stimulation and rapid shifts in attention.” (Richtel, 2012)

Surveys found that many teachers said technology could be a useful educational tool. The Internet and search engines had a “mostly positive” impact on student research skills. Such tools made students more self-sufficient researchers. Another survey said technology was hurting the students’ attention span, ability to write, communicate face to face, have critical thinking and do homework.

Do you think the educational system should adjust to better accommodate how students learn in this digital age?
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 211

Re: Education and Technology

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:21 am
I believe the educational system is already adjusting how students learn in this digital age. In the school I am working at right now, the students go on lexia a site for learning how to read every day. This is their main reading assistance being done digitally on a computer. The computer is beginning to teach them how to read instead of the teacher. Some students work well with this program, but the majority fool around, not really caring about their work and not really wanting to be on the computer. It is quite common to turn around and find them searching other sites and doing other things because their attention span is so low. So I believe their are pros and cons to the educational system changing to accommodate the students.
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

Education and Technology

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 pm
Ashley you are right that there are pros and cons to the education system changing to accommodate students. As you see in your classroom some students work well with the reading program which is a pro, but the majority fool around which is a con. I think that's because we all learn differently and one program is not going to facilitate learning for everyone. In all probability students are at different levels of reading. The reading assistance program would have to be tailored to each individual student to be more effective. The student could take some type of online quiz that would test their comprehension or learning style, then the main reading assistance program might work.

Kim
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 204

on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 pm
I feel that both of you are right; however, for some children that become easily sidetracked, or do not catch on to the new learning style, they should be able to still rely on the "old fashioned" ways of learning. When I was younger I remember there being something like remedial reading in classes, where each student struggling would be able to sit aside with a teacher's assistant for a few minutes to a hour a day (or once a week, etc) and read with him or her. This helped everyone be on the same page by the end of the year. This also allowed the teacher to not have to take away time from the lecture and still stay on schedule with the topics needed to be taught. I feel this should be brought back to schools. Getting too emerged in technology can sometimes be a downfall. It could make us forget how to communicate face-to-face. Sometimes, face-to-face, or someone showing you how to do different examples physically is better than being taught by simulations. There needs to be a nice compromise between the two systems.

-Nasya Kampbell
Brittania Reynolds
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 229

on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 am
I agree with Ashley that many schools have and are adjusting their methods for the digital age. Many schools have smart boards, projectors, updated computers (MAC) or even laptops for students to use in class. I never thought the ways teachers taught or what they used to teach students with was ever an issue, it's trying to get students to pay attention and learn that is the issue. Continually making adjustments to keep up with the digital age will eventually cause a lack of a students ability to learn because with the advanced technology they have, who is to keep the students from cheating on an exam or going on social media during class? In my opinion, I think that tecj=hnology is a distraction from education, of course, it has its benefits but I find more negatives than positives.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum