Go down
halls19

Duped or not?

on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:36 pm
When I was younger I loved to watch wrestling. One of my favorite wrestlers was Dwayne Johnson “The Rock”. In 2014 there was a hoax stating that The Rock had died performing a stunt for the movie Fast & Furious 7. The website was snopes.com, and it appeared as if it were real news, until I researched further to find out it was all a horrible tale. When a celebrity is part of a death hoax, it spreads like a wildfire and goes viral all over social media. When this happens you have no other choice but to believe it because all these people cannot be wrong, right? Wrong! People who author fake news such as this puts the celebrity at the heading hoping you would click on the link to read further. Either their intentions are to infect your system with virus or to con you out of your hard-earned money. The annoying part about this is that this same hoax resurfaced again August 25, 2017, but this time the heading was FOX BREAKING NEWS, once I saw that, I knew for sure the news was fact. The only advice I can give to others is to check your source. If it is not reliable then it probably is fake. Most fake news has spelling and grammatical errors. In the event you have shared “fake” news, immediately correct it and take the posting down. Things happen like this all the time, but the next time do your research. It’s always better to be safe than spreading rumors.
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 204

Re: Duped or not?

on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:47 pm
When I was younger I think I remember something like this happening too. I did not like it at all! It is also very frustrating to find out that it was not the truth and then to know that people would stoop so low and make up these lies. This lie also happened with my ex boyfriend. At the time, my ex had spread on Facebook that he had died. I was devastated then beyond relieved when I found out it was not true. He said he did it to see who would really care. You mentioned spelling and grammar issues with the sources that are fake. You can also report them and flag them in some cases. This will hopefully get that site in trouble for doing these kinds of things.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum