Go down
Brittania Reynolds
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 229

The Internet is Bittersweet

on Wed May 30, 2018 5:42 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
The Internet has changed over the past few decades since Clifford Stoll has written that article. I do agree that technology can never replace human contact, but how society is today it can almost seem like it already has. I understand that the Internet has had its good drawbacks, but it also had bad ones as well. The Internet has made communication easy and you can connect to another person online from other countries like never before. It's convenient and makes doing tasks a lot easier such as sending emails or text messages. However,  the Internet can become addicting and cause people to lose sight with reality. We can become attached to online friends or get caught up with other online activities that we risk our real jobs and real friends just to connect to someone virtually. There are trolls, cyberbullies, answers to exams/homework, and google translation that majority of students use for language classes because they do not want to put in the effort to actually learn the language. In a way, the Internet has made us distant and lazy. There is no sense of privacy on the Internet and with the gatekeepers gone, there is no one there to filter all of the information, to tell us what we should and should watch/read. Here is a Youtube video, that I thought is true with today's society.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 217

Re: The Internet is Bittersweet

on Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 pm
The problem with internet gatekeepers is its very hard to determine the right amount. I agree with you on all the problems with screen culture and the internet. there are dark places where racists, sexists, and trolls roam around spewing misinformation and vile ideas. hiding behind our screens have made social interaction harder. We are so drawn into the world inside are phone that we miss the world around us.
However I do believe the good outweighs the Bad. many people who could never find social interaction in the real world are able to find it in the cyber world. So much misinformation and vitriolic propaganda exists on the web but also all of human knowledge which has given opportunities to many who traditionally been left behind by the educational system. Part of what makes the internet beautiful is the anarchy it exists in without rigid borders or nations. The forums and message boards are nations on to themselves; though like nation states some are benign and some more malicious than others.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum