COM 135 Spring 2019
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
townerw1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 1786

Advertising: is it an art or a science? Empty Advertising: is it an art or a science?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:30 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
We have all seen funny commercials, disturbing commercials, commercials where Billy Maze shouts at us for 5 minutes about Oxyclean and a bunch of others. But do subliminal messages lie under all the colors and words to make us more likely to purchase what they're selling? Subtle manipulation is all a part of the psychology of advertising. For example, you will rarely see anything on a As Seen On TV commercial that is priced evenly on the dollar. It is always like $19.99 or "five easy payments of 10.99" or something similar. This is because they want you to think you're cashing in on a better deal than you are actually getting. There is a scientific reason behind the numbers they are using.

There are also techniques used in food commercials to make things look better so you want it more. Sometimes it's not even real food! For example, they use motor oil to pour onto pancakes because real syrup absorbs to quickly and antacids to make sodas look more bubbly. Here is the source I got the food information from if you want to check out other tricks.

So what do you think and which is it? Is advertising an art or a science?
alexismpeck
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 1781

Advertising: is it an art or a science? Empty Reply

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:58 pm
I believe that advertising is both and art and a science. Most people do not know that they are being manipulated by what they are seeing in advertisements, but even when I am aware that advertisements are used to trick me I still find myself getting sucked into them. In another class I am taking, we learned that children under the age of twelve are not cognitively able to understand the difference between televise show and advertisement. They will see advertisements as the truth and as factual, this of course is far from what they actually are. Yet advertising companies use this as a benefit and sell toys and fast food to children under these ages hoping that they will believe it enough to beg their parents. Knowing this information can be upsetting and bothersome, yet it has been occurring for a very long time and it seems unlikely that this will stop anytime soon.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum