Go down
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 210
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

Web IQ Quiz

on Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm
The Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. They conduct public opinion polling, demographic research, content analysis and other data-driven social science research. One major area of focus is the Internet & Technology. Recently, they administered a survey related to adult user knowledge about the internet. For this exploration...

1. Take the online quiz they have related to this study at http://www.pewinternet.org/quiz/web-iq-quiz/. (Don't peak at the results beforehand! That's cheating! And it ruins the fun.) At the end your score will be compared against the survey results.
  2. Post your score here...don't be embarrassed...there's no grade connect to your score. Did this surprise you? What questions tripped you up? Do you know the answers now? If not...maybe someone in class can fill you in.
  3. What utility does this have for our understanding of online communication? (Hint: How does it relate to your experience? What does it tell us about the larger context of online communication?)

petroskid1@southernct.edu
Brittania Reynolds
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 180

Re: Web IQ Quiz

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:21 pm
I scored a 6 out of 12 which was better than 48.8% of the public. I wasn't too surprised because some of the questions I did not know. The questions that tripped me up though were if the internet and world wide web were the same I thought they were but I guess not. Another question that I had no idea was the internet leader I have no idea who Sheryl Sandberg is as well as knowing when the first iPhone came out I thought it was 2011 but it was earlier than that, who would have guessed? The utility this has for our understanding of online communication is in some cases the majority have experience with the Internet, however, we still lack the knowledge about the Internet and the World Wide Web, there is still so much to learn about them.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 168

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 pm
http://www.pewinternet.org/quiz/web-iq-quiz/results/

I got 10/12 on the quiz.

I was a little surprised on my result. I was expecting 11/12 and the answer I thought I got wrong was one I got right. I thought twitter was going to ne a trick question with the character amount. I knew it was 140 but many people have the 280 now so i was unsure if they meant the 280 answer. I got the question on moors law wrong and if understand how it escaped me for that question. my other wrong answer was on browsers. I thought Netscape came before mosaic. now I know I am wrong. the utility of this is that measuring the amount of online literacy is important. online communication requires a knowledge of the internet and how it can utilized for communication. our quiz results reflect that understanding and is a good gauge of the class.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum