Go down
Sean Geisman

A Mirage Being Mistaken for Communication.

on Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am

The biggest obstacles for the widespread adoption of Google’s “Project Glass” would be safety, in my opinion. With the evolution of cellphones, we found a new safety issue in texting while driving. Can you imagine what would happen if you had a screen in front of your eyes constantly? Calling this a distraction is an understatement. Instead of texting and driving, we run the risk of people watching media while driving, playing games, or even focusing on work documents. People in major cities wearing these glasses run the risk of walking into traffic or other unsafe environments since they are simply not paying attention. While I understand a lot of these risks exist with cellphones today, this technology magnifies these issues. A change in the way we communicate is not necessary for the adaptation of this technology. If it were mass produced today, it would become popular rather quickly. It fits the mold for how we communicate now. Voice activation, face time, and all the applications that require your constant attention to images. The inundation of content will drive this product, like it drives cellphones now. Quick video clips, short tweets, memes, all the content that is absorbed rapidly throughout the day has become almost addictive the more digestible it becomes. With this technology, I believe the current landscape of communication would only grow larger. As far as how it would affect the way we communicate, it would just grow the wedge that already exists between people. There is very little face-to-face communication, no one is paying attention to what is happening next to them. This technology would not change that, but drive it home. It is a mirage being mistaken for communication.
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 211

Re: A Mirage Being Mistaken for Communication.

on Thu May 24, 2018 12:34 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I agree with you completely that this could become a large issue. People today cannot even handle being responsible and safe with their phone, imagining them with a technological device that they don’t have to reach for our touch could be disastrous. So, safety would be the biggest obstacle, but perhaps they have already considered this. Maybe they will build sensors into the glasses that can detect if the user is in a moving vehicle, making it impossible to use the glasses while in a vehicle. However negative I may think this could be, I can see another side of this. For people who are amputees or have limited use of their limbs, these glasses could give them additional freedom that they previously would not be able to have. I believe if they are affordable and mass produced they will catch on extremely quickly, and people will abandon their smartphones for these glasses. I certainly think that communication would be impaired if they were widely used. Typically when having a conversation with someone, you can see their phone and where their eyes are, so you know if they are paying attention. With the glasses, they could be looking at you and seeing something else, shutting you out from their lives. People would be so distracted by the glasses that they would slowly lose the vital communication skills they need in life.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 217

on Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 pm
For the sake of being contrarian I think I’m going to break away from the safety argument and go a different route. please let me know what you think. I don’t think safety is the barrier to adoption but natural human fear of the unknown.

Sean I agree with you that the safety risk will be catastrophic but with so much money and human capital on the line I believe the market will win out and a company will find a way to push something through any safety fears. Even with pressure from regulators’ a agreement would be settled to get a version of the product to market that would ease the most basic fears of safety advocates. laws are slow to keep up with technology and usually wait until the accidents happen. I remember that Connecticut only has cellphones laws while driving put in a little over 10 years ago long after cellphone usage was a norm. in a more recent example pokemon Go was big 2 summers ago and it wasn’t until the car crashes happened they the developer revisited the technology to be unusable while driving.

What I think is the biggest obstacle to major life altering technology is fear. Humans are conservative by nature and are slow to adapt to change. Ashley I agree with you about the intimidation caused by talking to someone that essentially in their own world not paying attention to you but to something else unknown. I would feel uneasy as would many people. The hurdle google would have to get past would be to win the initial few who embrace the bold progression of technology and over time win people over with the feeling of it becoming a norm a few people at a time. It also doesn’t hurt if the price can radically drop over time.

Glad to hear some different opinion I feel I have to pessimistic few on the safety aspect and would love some pushback that would make me feel more optimistic on the proactive behaviors of society
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

A Mirage Being Mistaken for Communication.

on Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 pm
Sean your point about safety is a good one, wearing Google’s “Project Glass” eyewear while driving or walking in street would be dangerous. If a person were able to text, play games, and have a conversation at the same time they would. I know I like to multitask on my cell phone.
Ashley I like your point that Google should put sensors in the glasses that will only stay turn on when the person is stationary for safety reasons, that way they couldn't be driving, and people with disabilities could also take advantage of this technology, I didn’t think of that.
Matthew I believe the market will win out in the end as well regardless of how dangerous these eyeglasses could be. However, just like 3D glasses, 3D movies and 3DTV, they could also become a novelty, that sounds good in the beginning with all the new features and new components, then falls by the waste side. The older generation is still trying to get use cell phones especially the cost and with new models coming out yearly, it’s hard to keep up. “Project Glass” will be the newest expensive toy on the market and then fade away.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum