Go down
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 259
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

Entertainment on Demand

on Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 pm
Wide-spread popularity of smartphones along with increased bandwidth of wireless communication have allowed audiences to engage in entertainment media virtually anywhere (and at any time).

What do you think about this, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

petroskid1@southernct.edu
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

I Communicate Everywhere and Everyday

on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I like that with my smartphone I can talk to Siri, go on the internet, see a map, use the dictionary, take pictures, or video, play a game, watch a TV show, movie, a video on YouTube and what it was supposed to do in the first place make a telephone call. I like I can entertainment myself while waiting in line, at the doctor’s office, at the airport and on the plane. Years ago having a portable phone and portable battery the size of a briefcase was the new technology. It wasn’t cheap no family I knew had one, I remember some guy had one at an office event. Now everyone has one even the children, the price ranges from cheap to expensive. Being able to use the phone anywhere and anytime is a good thing. Hall19 is right the decision when and where to use it, is a challenge for some. It can become a major distraction while driving, or even walking across the street. I am sure it’s the cause of major and minor accidents even deaths. A major negative aspect of being connected to the world wide web can be exposure of a person’s personal and financial information. I love my little smart phone and now can’t live without it.
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 219

Connected 24/7

on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:28 pm
The popularity of smartphones and an increased bandwidth of wireless communication has allowed for us to always be connected to entertainment media; videos, news, internet, books etc. The ability to watch a movie, or read the New York Times or chat with a friend in Argentina is incredible and interesting to witness. I see it a lot when people are waiting for busses, or waiting in line for coffee, or even when they’re walking down the street; our noses are glued to the screen. I think with everything else in the world, there are benefits and disadvantages to being able to connect 24/7. It’s been said over and over that the internet and social media has connected us as a world together, it’s allowed for new knowledge and new experiences. It’s allowed for people to create; art, videos, music and has given them platforms for a bigger audience to come across their work. This constant communication connection has broken barriers, broken records and gives us the chance to influence one another in food, literature, movies, news, and art. Nevertheless, it’s also consumed us and has numbed us to a lot of situations because of the non-stop exposure to different material. We have become so attached to media and to our phones that it’s debilitating when we don’t have our phones with us, we cant imagine going a day without our phones, but I believe that It’s always good to take a break from the internet and our phones once in a while to reboot our own system.
stefanatosn1
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 185

Smartphones and virtual reality.

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:25 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Smart phones have brought endless possibilities and accessibility to our world. We are able to communicate face to face with someone across the world with Facetime. We have so much power in our pockets, but is it getting too out of hand when it come entertainment media virtual reality? I do not think as the moment we are in danger, because virtual reality has not really caught on to everyone. No one wants to wear those big goggles anywhere and the software isn't just quite as good right now. I think once we have figured out a way to make it convenient and easy for people to use virtual reality on a daily basis, then there will be a problem. People will get lost in virtual reality because they will like the virtual world better than the real one.
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 211

Re: Entertainment on Demand

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:58 am
I do think this can be a good thing. For me I spend a lot of time in my car as a commuter, so having a map so I don't get lost (I have an awful sense of direction) is really important. Sometimes I don't have enough time between school, work and practice to go home and do homework or relax so a lot of the time my work gets done in the car or I get to watch a tv show before going into practice. Without my smartphone this wouldn't be possible. Although I can see it as being a bad thing because sometimes people get so absorbed into it that they don't pay attention to whats going on around them. I think we all have seen people walk into things because they are so absorbed into their phone.
JasonHall80
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 186

Entertainment on Demand is a bad thing

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 pm
I feel like entertainment on demand is a bad thing . We all know how much using your cellphones or social media can be addictive . When my eight year old son comes to dinner table he likes to bring his tablet with him and watch Youtube. I told him no electronic devices at the dinner table. When I teach acting to my students at an afterschool program it is a fight to get them to put their phone down. I feel like we are attached to our phones. It is taking away from basic human interaction. Have you ever seen your family or peers panic when their phone dies? if we did not deem our phones very important there would not be any charging stations in public places.
I remember having a cellphone in the year 1999 and a two-way pager. When my devices would die I never panicked or was upset. I was too busy having fun . I feel with millions of apps and fun things that you can have on your smartphone makes it very addictive. You can bing watch your favorite show on Netflix while your are on a road trip with your family to Atlanta. There are too many distractions nowadays. I feel like entertainment on demand is a bad thing .
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 217

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 pm
Its very east to see the negative side of entertainment on demand. The addictiveness of content overload and the constant distractions, and the ability to never have time in your own head. There is however so much more good that can be had from it. Life is short and the purpose of work is to relax. In the days of yore one had to journey to the video store and spend time in line only to go home pop in the movie risking whether its worth finishing. That time is way better spent enjoy more of a movie or do other things that make you happy. That applies to most things, if we can cut out the inefficient boring parts we can spend more time enjoying our time. Io can pull out any movie I can go on Netflix on my phone. Maybe ill watch that foreign language film that I never would have saw in a theatre. But I have time to relax and the ratings look good. This isn’t about making life super efficient and maximizing content. Its about freeing up some time to do what we want and have more time to do it.
Brittania Reynolds
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 229

Smartphones are Trending

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 pm
I think smartphones are wireless communication are good and bad. In today's society, smartphones make communicating easy and convenient such as being able to text and email. There are a variety of apps that are available to download and their categories can range from games to social media or even finances. I use my smartphone as an alarm clock, a GPS, as a reminder, and Bixby, an onboard assistant that evolves, learns, and adapts to me to make my life easier, makes having an Android fun. Smartphones help some people feel comfortable when they are put in an awkward situation. However, they are bad because they can be distracting and cause negative impacts such as texting and driving or social isolation. I, myself fall victim to being distracted by my smartphone. Since it is always right next to me I can't help but pick it up to see what is on my screen every time my phone buzzes.
Ryan Shalagan
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 188

Entertainment on Demand

on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 pm
With the widespread popularity of smartphones along with the increased bandwidth of wireless communication we have allowed audiences to engage in entertainment media virtually anywhere. I find this to be a good thing because it allows use to view our entertainment on our own time. During a storm with wide spread power outages we are now able to view our entertainment on our smartphones. This is also very useful during power outages because it gives us the opportunity to view the news on our phones for updates about the storm. Another reason why I find the increased bandwidth of wireless communication to be a good thing is because we are now able to receive critical information about a missing person alert or dangerous weather approaching. Before the introduction of the smartphone these alerts were only broadcasted through the radio or TV. Our smart phones also allow us to connect with other people around the world and help us connect with family or friends in other countries. The introduction of the smartphone has also given parents the opportunity to track their children through their phones. This gives parents piece of mind knowing where their children are at all times. I find it very interesting that we have more technology in our smartphones than it took to land a man on the moon back in 1969. I definitely think that the widespread popularity of smartphones along with the increased bandwidth of wireless communication is a good thing.

Ryan Shalagan
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 204

on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Variety of smartphones and increased bandwidth of wireless communication is definitely a good idea. We live in a day and age where people want things instantly, and this provides that. Not having to pack up multiple DVD’s and a DVD player, along with other heavy devices is definitely an advantage. There is no question as to if it is good or not. Anything you want to watch, or anyone you want to communicate with is at the tip of your fingers. There’s greatness in that idea. The entertainment has so many different varieties that come along with it that it is not only limited to movies. There’s books, blogs, social media, news, the arts, communication of all sorts including video chatting by many different programs, etc. The list is endless. It also gives us a new perspective on life. For example, receiving a letter in the mail gives a new feeling (that someone took the time to write) but being able to reach someone in a matter of seconds is also very convenient. I believe that is why we have evolved so much, due to the convenience.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum