Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 259
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

One Tweet, One Terrible Tuesday

on Thu May 24, 2018 9:02 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)

BREAKING: TWO EXPLOSIONS IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND BARACK OBAMA IS INJURED

At 1:07 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Tuesday, April 23, the Associated Press sent the above message out through their Twitter account. Although @AP almost immediately clarified that the Tweet was written by a hacker—somebodywho broke into the account and posted the fake tweet—bythen it has been retweeted(sent by other users) nearly 3,000 times, resulting in a good deal of public panic, and to the surprise of many, a nearly one percent drop in the Dow Jones Industrial Index. In other words, one false tweet caused the largest financial system in the world to momentarily crash. Following the initial tweet, stock markets recovered fairly quickly as news spread just as fast that the message was a fake. How did this happen? How did so many people read, believe, and share this information and do it so quickly? And how were we all duped enough to ripple through the stock market? [url=http://mentalfloss.com/article/50275/7-ways-wecould- tell-ap-tweet-was-fake]Mental Floss’s[/url] ArikaOkrentwent back the next day and reanalyzed the message and found seven ways in which the discerning news reader would have been able to spot the fraud immediately. For example, AP news stories always write the word “Breaking” in all capital letters (i.e., BREAKING). Also, the AP would never refer to the President of the United States as BarackObamawithout his formal title (i.e., President BarackObamaor President Obama). Looking closer, she also noticed that the tweet was not signed by the reporter who crafted it (AP tweets usually include the initials of the reporter), and also the tweet was not sent from the Social Flow media service to which the AP subscribes. Although the markets quickly recovered— indeed they closed the day up 152.29 points (a 1.05 percent gain from the opening mark)— this “flash crash” has many analysts revisiting their computer algorithms and their own people to build more critical thinking barriers into the information processing equation.

Have you ever been “duped” by something that you read online? Share your experience with us. Looking back, what might you have done differently to evaluate the information you found? Can you offer some advice to help others avoid falling into this trap? What if you're not sure if something is real or not? What can/should you do?

petroskid1@southernct.edu
lopeza19
Platinum
Platinum
Quality Points : 219

Re: One Tweet, One Terrible Tuesday

on Fri May 25, 2018 10:33 pm
This is the perfect topic for this past year, fake or real news and how do we tell the difference? It's been reported all year, that many bot accounts had been created throughout the year to spread fake news and to confuse the American people throughout the election and every day after. There s always the risk of coming across wrong information , and it's not always as dramatic as the situation explained above but it's also consequences that one has to come across from sharing wrong information from friends and family, but school and work as well. I remember in the year 2012, the movement that exploded because of horrible man named Kony came out and the video was shared all over the world. The amount of support hat backed this movement was astonishing and unlike anything we had ever seen, the public was ready to fight the fight and make a change. However, as the days went by the skepticism came out and more information came out in regards of the timing of the movement, and the doubt of how any of it was going to actually help anyone. In the end, the distrust and suspicion overpowered the movement; along with the leader of the movements mental breakdown. It's always disappointing to learnt that something that we read online; a medium that we've learned to trust, doesn't always tell the truth. I have a twitter account, and there have been many times when I am scrolling down my feed and I read an article title and it pushes my buttons and I quickly hit the retweet button to share the story. Then I catch myself and undo the retweet and instead read the article, because I don't want to contribute to the sharing of fake news and having the reputation of just jumping on something without the research to back it up. I was one of those Kony 2012 supporters after watching the video, until my roommate came to me with a credible article in which all these red flags about the movements were coming up. I realized then that I shouldn't take anything at face and that I as a person should always check out what exactly i'm supporting. The only advice that I could ever give is to always double check that article or research subject; checking with credible sources, reading the comments, and allowing yourself to admit that everything is not what it seems is always good.
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 205

Tweets are not sweets

on Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 pm
I came across a website that made a game of American History. I like American history and the first couple of questions seemed harmless enough and easy and fun at first. The questions were multiple choice, pictures of red, white and blue in the background. Questions like when did the civil war end or how many stripes are on the flag. If your score was low then you weren’t a true patriot and that's when things turned left. After playing a few games, I started to get notifications about coming back to the site to improve my score hourly it seemed. So now they want me to take a survey question, and that’s where I can’t believe, I have been duped, hoodwinked, tricked and bamboozled. The survey question was true or false,” Is President Trump doing a good job”. If my answer was no then I wasn’t a true patriotic American who didn’t believe in America and what it stands for. If my answer was yes then I am true American that believed that America could be great again and that President Trump was doing a great job. This website counted how many people came to the site. I didn’t want to be a statistic on some other fake political website in his favor. I unsubscribed immediately and have not heard from them since. I did feel good about leaving a comment. Impeach Trump. My advice once you can fall into the trap, climb out and move on with your life.
stefanatosn1
Bronze
Bronze
Quality Points : 185

One Tweet, One Terrible Tuesday

on Thu May 31, 2018 10:29 pm
In todays world we see fake news all too often and it effects a significant number of our population. I still recently see fake news through facebook; where account mimic the name of a News Chanel. For Example, one time i saw a "Fox News" report on facebook about how the United Sates of America just bombed North Korea. I have see this on multiple occasions, the way i check to see if it is real is by: Clicking on the profile and checking if the account is verified and also by checking the tweet, posts, and picture history to make sure it corresponds with the profile. These are just a few ways I check to see if what I'm viewing is fake news.

Nikolas Stefanatos
JasonHall80
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 186

One Time I got fooled

on Thu May 31, 2018 11:35 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
One time I got fooled . I was scrolling down the fake news capital of the world. Facebook. There was a post that said Morgan Freeman has passed away. The funny thing is I saw several people in my feed posting as their status Rest in Peace Morgan Freeman. Usually when I see something about the entertainment industry I go and check CNN's website. I wonder why people would post fake news. They are not getting paid for it. What will someone gain by posting about Morgan Freeman's death. I can understand if you want to post something about a business you might receive some financial gain. For example, if you posted a vicious rumor like Starbucks bought out Dunkin' Donuts. That would probably cause an internet frenzy .

To avoid situations about fake news you can not believe everything you see on social media. If its from twitter or elsewhere make sure it is a verified source.
Sponsored content

Re: One Tweet, One Terrible Tuesday

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum