Go down
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 210
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

What time is it?

on Thu May 24, 2018 8:59 pm
In Natural-Born Cyborgs, Clark talks about the invention of the wristwatch—and by extension, the notion of time itself, as a prime example of technology making us more rather than less human. Consider that in the modern era, we use time as a metric to organize, plan, and motivate our activities across an entire day, month, or even year (indeed, the very notions of days, months, and years are themselves inventions of the very concept of time). Prior to time as a “thing,” early humans would organize their lives around their ability to hunt during the day and sleep at night, and they would make inferences about different climates based on obvious changes in air temperature over long periods. Yet, they did not schedule appointments around hunting, gathering, eating, and sleeping. These “day-to-day” activities were largely at the whim of impulse and opportunity—early humans hunted when they saw prey and slept when they were tired.

Fast forward today, when we have set defined periods for breakfast (mornings, for sake of argument we will say 8:00 a.m.), lunch (noon), and dinner (6:00 p.m., although these meal times might not match up well with your daily habits). Having such a set schedule allows us to plan the rest of our work and sleep schedule so that we can arrange an efficient and productive daily routine, coordinating time for college courses as well as a vibrant social life. In fact, Clark would argue that this reliance on time is part of our cyborg nature: a biological species that have integrated an artificial (that is, not biological or natural to us) tool into our lives in order to help us live.

How do you think your life (on campus or off) would change if there was no concept of time?

petroskid1@southernct.edu
JasonHall80
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 137

What time is it?

on Sat May 26, 2018 6:19 pm
If there was no concept of time I would have not have anxiety about deadlines. My anxiety is high only near the end of the semester. Time waits for no man . I feel like the point of time is too keep us on task to reach our objectives. Ever since I have been working at my job at St. Vincent's hospital I feel like there is not enough time during the day. I work from 630 am until 630 pm. When I get home at night I get anxiety close to midnight because I know I have to get up at 5 am for school or work.
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 162

Re: What time is it?

on Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
If there was no concept of time then I believe life would go to my life would go to chaos. I am a very structured person, and do not do well without a set schedule. I live by that schedule religiously trying hard not to break it. I believe without a schedule school would be impossible because teachers would not have to show up when we did, and I could be attempting to go to a class when no teacher was there. I could go to work and be stuck there for hours because parents would have no concept of when it would be time to get there kids, so they would take advantage of the system. I believe time is a necessity of life and lacking it would make it nearly impossible to function on a day to day basis.
shannonehawkins
Quality Points : 126

on Thu May 31, 2018 8:09 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
What Time is It?
If there were no form of "time" we'd be lost. Time was invented to give us structure, its easier to have control with time. I would personally go crazy a tad bit, but possibly not that crazy because I would follow the sun, sun up I'd wake up, and sun down go to sleep. I would plan my day out based on the sun. The sad thing is that I can sleep long, so I'd never make it to class. And if i had to make appointments I would not know how to schedule them. I literally time everything out by the hour, I legit look at the clock for about everything, every single hour. I would not be able to function properly. I do a lot of running around and working, and without time I would not be able to do it. I feel like now that I don't have enough hours in the day so imagine life without time? Chaotic
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum