Ryan Shalagan
Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention
Quality Points : 139

Is Communication Easy?

on Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Ryan Shalagan

Communication is easy when looking at the big picture. However as we dive deeper into the aspect of communication there are many basics we tend to look past or oversee. As an example, married couples they tend to already assume what an issues is therefore they avoid the issue at hand. In other words, when a married couples comes across a problem both parties assume they already know what the issues are. By already knowing what the issues are they usually escape the problem presented to them. By doing this it creates a problematic situation by trying to dodge the problem at hand. Eventually the couple is going to have to talk about these problems, and by doing so sooner rather than later, this will resolve the problem not only faster but will also help reduce stress in the relationship. An important factor for the relationship is for both people involved to understand how each other is feeling in order to build the relationship for a strong future. Communication is easy when you actually start talking, but to start talking is the hardest part. Do you agree?
connollya3
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 162

Re: Is Communication Easy?

on Thu May 24, 2018 12:56 pm
I agree with most of your statements however, I believe communication can be easy depending on the type of person you are. Extroverted people love talking, and being around other people, communication comes naturally to them. Introverted people like myself find it harder to communicate with those around them, its not that I don’t want to communicate with them, its that anxiety overwhelms me and its too hard to find the words to say making communication difficult. I agree that people who have known each other a long time tend to automatically assume that they know what the issue is and chose not to communicate with each other to talk out their issues. The longer they go without talking about it, the more problems it creates. I think the central obstacles to communication are how comfortable you are with the people you are communicating to and the assumptions you make. If you are not comfortable, the you are not willing and don’t want to communicate, or if you make assumptions that could be wrong problems and conflicts can be created.
matism1
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 168

on Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 pm
I agree with you both that starting the talk is the hardest part but i want to expand on something Ashley said about extroverts. even when you start talking there will always be an imbalance in those doing the talking and those struggling to find their words. if think the hardest part is to get the weaker talker involved. the stronger talker needs to be cognizant of this and use a variety of tactics to encourage the other person.

Starting off with simple invitations to dialogue can help. Taking turns sharing minor points or positive reinforcement are good ways to help encourage a more introverted person to open up even with their anxiety. A conversation is not a one way street and even if you start one it sometimes takes a lot of constant effort to keep it going in the right direction.
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 155

on Thu May 24, 2018 11:40 pm
I agree with all of you, to some extent, but there is even more. I agree, people have to start talking first in order to communicate. However, there is still a difference between communicating and communicating effectively. Ask open ended questions and ask the person you're speaking with to (basically) give you a back brief, if you will, of what you said. This assures that the person heard you because they can repeat what you told them. This also allows for clarification on topics misinterpreted. Doing this will help with all people, whether you are introverted or extraverted, simply because it forces you to communicate. Also having personal courage in yourself and knowing the facts helps the conversation go smoother. Additionally, sometimes a person’s feelings must be put to the side. People start to not listen when they are emotional. (Thus, arguments also arise.) Keep your emotions in check. Give the next person a chance to talk before you cut them off or just decide not to listen.

Additionally, other issues arise when there is fear that one will be ridiculed for their opinion based on certain topics. Therefore, many topics will be left not discussed. Knowing that you won't be interrupted or yelled at because you said something the other person may not agree with may help the communication process become smoother. Although, a lot of the times communication can turn into arguments, especially for married couples. That's definitely one thing most people want to avoid. Some however, have different vendettas. (True story.) Some may start to nag on others to say that they "got theirs in first" which causes arguments. They only do this because they may be trying to remove the focus from themselves. This happens a lot of the times when s/he knows they have done something their partner won’t agree with. (A situation like this happened with my cousin.) Who would want to communicate with a person behaving this way? No one.

For marriages, honestly, communication is the utmost key. This is unfortunately one reason (among others) why marriages do not last. For example, sometimes, telling your partner where you are BEFORE they have to ask is better than them asking and then it turning into an argument. If you were supposed to be at home but then decided to change your mind and go to the store, or out with friends, let him/ her know. Know the person (people) you are communicating with. Don’t let their mind wonder, especially if you know their personality. Prevention before cure!

With strangers or friends for example, if you are going to be late to an event, tell them! It is better for you to look like a "late person," or someone who may be legitimately running late, instead of saying nothing. This also makes others have the assumption of you that you don't care.

An example from reality, in ROTC we have time hacks all the time for getting things done. There is a 1/3, 2/3 rule, where you take enough time for yourself to get the information sent out, but also give others enough time to reply. Then you have to turn around and send that information back up to higher. Imagine the time it takes to do this! If you hold on to the information, then decide to send it all out and expect a reply 5 minutes before the dead line, all you are going to receive is a lot of angry Cadets, Cadre and others. The 1/3, 2/3 concept works for even bigger organizations, such as the ARMY and others. This also works in civilians’ lives if people would take it into consideration. Sometimes it's not about being comfortable communicating with another person. You may not even know this person, and may never have met him/ her. In the military they stress clear and concise communication for a reason. It may save another Soldiers’ life, and more than likely someone they never met. Without clear and concise communication, the mission may not get completed. All of life is a mission, and we must communicate with each other.

-Kampbell
Dr. Petroski
Admin
Admin
Quality Points : 210
http://com135su18.forumotion.com

Not familair with 1/3 2/3 rule

on Fri May 25, 2018 1:08 pm
Nasya,

I'm not familiar with the 1/3 2/3 rule. From what you wrote I gather it refers to the time you wait before moving forward with a decision. Could you explain it a bit further?

DJP

petroskid1@southernct.edu
Nasya Kampbell
Gold
Gold
Quality Points : 155

on Fri May 25, 2018 8:08 pm
Dr. Petroski,

This is the best way to explain the 1/3, 2/3 rule, " The 1/3 – 2/3 rule of planning simply says that leaders should take a third of the time until a deadline to make a plan, and then provide their subordinates with the remaining time to develop their own plan and execute it."

Nasya
KimDBrowneRegular1
Sliver
Sliver
Quality Points : 156

Communication is complicated.

on Mon May 28, 2018 11:02 pm
Communicating is easy, we can talk, text, facetime, post, blog, Instagram, comment on Facebook, reply to an email, and tweet, I'm sure there's a lot more. These are the one I do. We are inundated with messages constantly. How we choose to communicate on these platforms or forums is where the complication begins. In the case of a married couple not only can their communication styles differ like Brittanee brought up but it’s their arguing style that complicates matters. Once, I understood the style than I formulate how to communicate with my husband. At times I had to pretend to be listening and do a lot of non verbal confirmation to make him think I was listening. After a while I couldn't pretend anymore.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum